A couple years ago I competed in a 5K. I didn't do it to win 1st place. I did it for me. I wanted to show myself that I could do it and I did.
Competition is a normal thing. We compete in sports, at work and in school. But the competition becomes unhealthy when we compete against each other because of jealousy.
Instead of trying to beat the next person at something just because you dislike them, try to compete against yourself. Think about how much more you could achieve if you removed your own limitations.
Society has us so worried about the next person getting ahead that we unknowingly put limits on our own capabilities. Stop worrying about who's going to get ahead of you and start finding ways to win against you. Think about how much more productive you can be. And think about how much more you could accomplish and win!
And if you're thinking, if I compete against myself, what's the reward, what's in it for me? Here's how you win at competing against yourself.
1. You win for you, you build your confidence and self-esteem! You believe in the unbelievable; the things you were afraid to do before now seem insignificant.
2. You get a better understanding of your value and worth! Now you can ask for more money on a contract, a salary increase, a better position or more playing time on a sports team.
3. You work smarter and not harder because you're challenging yourself. Now you think outside of the box with different ways to beat you!
4. You become more efficient and effective with new ideas and skill sets. You find ways to do things bigger, better, stronger and faster.
5. You change for the better. You promote yourself higher and you stand out in a crowd.
People notice you more and now they come to you for advice, mentorship, or to work with you.
Competing against yourself is the best gift you can give you. Competing against others will only get you as far as they can go. Push yourself, take off the limitations and go!
Remember... In business and in sports, you're only as good as your last win. So let's get out there and win! Have a wonderful week! MUAH